Friday, December 10, 2010

Project Complete

After three months of work, countless hours playing in AutoCAD, many changes to our design, half a dozen ink cartridges, and many times through my Christmas music playlist on my iPod, we are DONE! Yesterday afternoon we finally finished our Safe Harbor project. It is the project that has taken up most of my time since I’ve been here. There were a few headaches and frustrating moments along the way, but I really enjoyed working on this project.

What exactly did we do? Earlier in September we visited a ministry in northern Uganda called Safe Harbor. They already have a church, hospital, and a primary school. They recently received two plots of land (Choro and Wogo) that they plan on developing into farmland and processing center. Our project was to design a series of agricultural buildings. The buildings will hopefully allow the ministry to become more self-sustainable, depending less on international donors. They will also serve the community by allowing local farmers to use their processing equipment and selling crops to the locals.

For more information, check out these links:
-Project Info
-Project Trip: Safe Harbor
-Project Trip: Meet the Team
-Project Trip: The People and the Church
-Project Trip: Extras
-Project Trip: Murchison Falls

On the trip, I was responsible surveying the site. Then, I created topographical maps of the both Choro and Wogo. I was also in charge of design for the fish ponds on the Wogo site. My main project throughout the semester was the structural design of the buildings on both sites. Below are some architectural renderings of the design. Thanks to the architects for making them look pretty!

I will have a copy of the report with me while I am home over Christmas so if you would like to see more detail, please let me know. Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment