Saturday, October 2, 2010

Project Trip: The People and the Church

I wanted to share a little bit about the people we encountered while we were in Midigo. They were some of the most hospitable, friendly people I have ever met. The compound that we stayed in was the where Dr. Juventine and his wife live with their two children. There are several other staff members that live there as well. As a result, every meal had about 25 to 30 people… and each meal was a feast! Through the course of the week, we had fresh pork, chicken, turkey, and goat. And by fresh I mean that we had a live pig in the compound in the morning and had pork for dinner. The next day we had a live goat on the compound and had goat meat for dinner. Two of our team members even got to kill the turkey and chicken one day (I will spare you the gory photos). Needless to say, it was quite the experience.

This was all very special too. We asked them how often they had meat, and they said rarely. So it was very generous of them to be feeding us the way that they did. In addition, they served us hot tea and coffee every afternoon and wonderful desserts.

[Side note: people here like to drink hot tea at all times of the day. They say that it cools them down. I don’t get it. I just sweat when I drink it, which I guess should cool you down. But I would prefer not to sweat even more than I do in the heat of the day.]

Anyway, I had such a wonderful time meeting the people there and learning more about the current ministry. It was very evident that they love Jesus and are dedicating their lives to his service. Many have made such great sacrifices to be there. Dr. Juventine and his wife (also a doctor) were very successful doctors in Kampala and had an offer for a prestigious fellowship in South Africa. They turned down the fellowship and left their big house in Kampala to be missionaries in Midigo where they live a much simpler life. What a testimony of people who have their hope in heaven and not on the things of this earth!


Dr. Juventine sitting by a tree on the compound.


Jemimah loved to come and sit on my lap while I was on my computer.


A shot with Jemimah and Jonathan, Juventine and Elizabeth’s children.


The two mozeis (literally translated as "old man") that showed us around the property. The man on the left in said to be 98 years old. He has lived in Midigo his entire life and knew where all of the property boundaries were. Sometimes they would seemingly turn randomly in the middle of a corn fields. They didn’t like their photos taken and they didn’t like to smiles. They said smiling is for fools.


The sanctuary of Calvary Chapel Midigo.


The childrens ward of the hospital.


Some of the local children after church one evening. They were supposed to be standing by me, but rushed toward the camera as soon as it was pulled out. My favorite is the one saluting in the back. Afterward, they all just had to see the photo on the camera display. There aren’t very many digital cameras in the area.


We blew up balloons and blew bubbles with the kids after church on Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment