Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eagle's Wings Children's Village

Since coming back from the Watoto project trip a few weeks ago I have actually been working on a different project. I am doing the structural design for an orphanage in Masaka, Uganda which is southwest Uganda. I wasn't with the team from the US that went to visit the site but I have been involved in the design process after the team has gotten back. My responsibilities include shear wall design for lateral resistance (wind and earthquakes), roof truss design, and concrete beam, column, and footing design. I have had a lot of fun because I haven't got to do much structural design since coming to Uganda, but now I am having to use a lot of what I learned in university to do the work.

The children's village currently houses around 300 children. With our design, they are planning to expand so that they can house more staff and improve their schools. Their site is 72 acres so they need a well thought out plan before moving forward.

Their mission statement is to bring Jesus Christ, care, love, protection and the provision of basic necessities to the lone, orphaned child.

For more information check out these links:

-Eagle's Wings website
-eMi Project Profile

One of the volunteers was a videographer and made this wonderful video while he was there. Check it out!


Eagle's Wings- Masaka, Uganda from Halle Project on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. We're all so proud of you! You're truly doing God's work and using your talents to lessen someone's pain. You're an inspiration, Danny!! God Bless you and everyone you're working with. We're sending lots of prayers your way.

    Love,
    Coleen, Daniel, Jessica and Josh

    ReplyDelete