Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Uganda 3, Angola 0

Saturday night, I went to the Uganda Cranes football match against Angola. It was an incredible experience. I only wish I had brought ear plugs because it was intensely loud the entire time. I thought watching the World Cup on TV earlier this summer because of the vuvuzelas, but actually being in a crowd was a whole other story. Add in whistles and other noise makers and it’s a recipe for hearing loss. Overall it was really fun though. All the Ugandans have a lot of energy while watching the match and Uganda won which made it even more exciting.

[Oh, and if you didn’t figure it out, I went to a soccer match… they call it football here, just like the rest of the world. I wanted to clarify just in case you were confused…]

I also had a fun experience Saturday morning before the football match. One of the locals associated with eMi runs a small library/copy shop in the middle of a small neighborhood nearby. I join a couple others to read books to the little kids out on the porch of this library. Not many of them can read and most of their parents can’t either. So they were all super excited when we came to read stories to them. There were maybe 20 or 25 children gathered around. I will hopefully go again on other Saturday mornings and take some photos.

I recently updated the Project Info page so check that out when you get the chance. It is still early in my involvement in some of these projects so I will try to add more info soon. Still, check it out to see what projects eMi is working on and what ministries we are serving.


Uganda (yellow) v. Angola (red)


Fellow intern Jonathan and me at the game.


A shot outside the stadium after the game (Mandela National Stadium)


Dance party in the street after the victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment